Does your business have an opening you'd like listed here? Submit your listing online — it's free for Chamber members!
Grain AccountantFull Time · DFS Oskaloosa
2808 S 33rd St · Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Posted: October 3, 2022
Join a dependable company with reliable income and growth potential. DFS Oskaloosa, LLC is hiring for a Grain Accountant now. We are looking for a team member who is a quick learner, detail oriented, reliable, and independent to own the Grain Accounting function at DFS.
About DFS Oskaloosa, LLC:
DFS is a growing company, located in Oskaloosa, IA, providing grain elevator services for regional grain producers, as well as manufacturing complete feed for livestock within a 70-80 mile radius of Oskaloosa. This position is an exciting opportunity to join an experienced team and serve the agriculture industry in the area. DFS provides large company benefits in a small company environment.
In this position, the Grain Accountant will work in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment, interacting with employees and grain customers. The main responsibilities are accounting focused, including preparation of grain documents, issuing payments, control and monitoring grain activities, hedging grain, and other related duties. This position supports the Elevator Manager and Controller by owning the responsibility to accurately maintain grain accounting records. The Grain Accountant ensures that all commodity payments are accurate, timely, and properly recorded. This position will also provide finance support to the overall Finance team. In the Grain Office, this position also acts as the office assistant, ensuring office supplies and materials are on hand, ordered, and distributed, as well as some light reception work, and is the back-up to the scale operator.
· Maintain accurate grain inventories.
o Record all grain transactions as they occur.
o Accurately verify grain transaction information is correct (customer name, quantity, price, etc.).
o Perform daily grain settlements.
· Positive interaction with Grain Producers.
o Provide grain bids to producers.
o Monitor the market throughout the day.
o Mail and receive grain contracts to and from producers.
o Contact Grain Producers if necessary, to obtain information.
o Knowledge of grain purchasing contracts.
o Responsible for working with Grain Buyers on unsigned contract list.
· Operation of Grain Scale.
o Assist in weighing incoming trucks and dispatching drivers.
· Grain Examinations.
o Be the main contact with the Federal and State grain personnel.
o Maintain necessary forms & records to provide to Federal and State Examiners.
· Provide financial and grain inventory reports for the Controller and Grain Merchandiser.
o Provide weekly Hedge reports to Management.
o Provide month-end reports for financial compilation.
o Provide month-end reports and process customer statements at month-end.
· Assist in working with Elevator Grain Haulers.
o Compiling hours and assisting when needed to assure accurate tracking is maintained.
o Assist in compiling trucking P&L with Controller and Grain Merchandiser.
· Identify and resolve discrepancies in accounting records.
· Support the Elevator with extended hours as needed, and every year during harvest season.
· Reconcile periodic grain inventory.
· Sort incoming mail and deliver outgoing mail.
· Answer phone, greet customers/visitors/salespeople, and other duties as assigned.
· Operate any machinery, PC, or office equipment necessary to perform full functions of the job.
· Understands and adheres to all processes related to employee and feed safety requirements and demonstrates a commitment to feed safety by ensuring compliance to regulatory requirements (OSHA, EPA, ISO, HACCP, GMP, FSMA, etc.)
· Keeps work area clean, neat, and free from safety hazards.
· Performs housekeeping as assigned.
· Maintains good customer relations by representing DFS with high integrity.
· Serve on teams and offer solutional feedback to management as needed.
· Be aware of and accept new technology.
· Maintains a positive attitude and is a motivated reliable employee.
· Assists with training of others.
· Associate degree (two-year college or technical school) or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
· Must be proficient with operating a computer and have demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications. Familiarity with AGRIS & Great Plains accounting is preferred, but not required.
· Knowledge of grain contracts.
· Able to read, write, and speak English.
· Be familiar with agricultural production.
· Pass post offer drug test.
· Follow all safety rules and regulations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The performance of this position will require occasional exposure to factory and grain facility settings. Under certain circumstances the employee may have to use personal protective equipment such as safety glasses and hearing protection.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Oskaloosa, IA 52577: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Associate (Preferred)
- English: 1 year (Required)
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Required)
- Microsoft Dynamics GP: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
View public job page